Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday Dec. 8th

To Share or Not to Share....

I confess I am a sharer! I feel that if I have something others might use it is only logical to share with them....
Recently at the 2010 ATLE conference I attened a session on Social Media with the Couros Brothers... although the topic was about Social Media, we engaged in the conversation of sharing. It has had me reflecting and thinking about this not so new idea but one that faces many of us in Ed Tech, Teaching and Learning. So this is my ponderings, please let me know your thoughts.

Do I need credit?.... not really.
Do I like it when people are grateful for the sharing? Of course, we all like our work to be appreciated. But is the simple act of someone using your material evidence or a sign of gratefulness?

When is sharing going to get easier for those that feel they put the hours into the work and therefore others should work for it too? Am I old fashioned, idealistic to believe that once we share, we will receive, and then we share more and we receive more.... crazy cycle but I like it!!

As educators we teach our students to share, we ask them to collaborate, to work together, to work cooperatively, to develop group working skills, yet often the concept of sharing with each other is a challenge to many teachers.
My question is why?
Is it greed?
Is it a need to be acknowledged?
Is it fear that their work/resources are not good enough and don't want to take the next step?
Is it horading ?
Is it competition?

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Melina
    I agree with your sentiments entirely. Unfortunately information is seen by some as power. Some of us like to share the power, others want to keep the power for themselves.

    I want to be like you - a sharer of resources, a sharer of tech tips, a sharer of everything that others might find useful.

    Empower those around us, especially the students.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg, I am grateful for your comments and realize I better get back into my blogging. I kind of went twitter crazy last year, so no I think I am going to have to get this blog updated!

    ReplyDelete