Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Glasgow; Sunday Sept. 20


Today I ventured out to pick up my Heritage Explorer pass that I purchased online using that wonderful technology the "Internet". No real glitches except that when they say pick up at Glasgow Cathedral they should include the times that the actual person is there for pick up. I arrived at 10:00 am, to read that services would be held at 11:00 but that the Catherdral for tourists opens at 1:00 pm. So off I went a wondering, I looked around and discovered the Necropolis, (cemetery) well for a geneology person like me, forget the technology for a moment and look at these tombs. Amazing, the grandeur, the history, the magnitude! But then let's go back to how data bases are helping people to find their ancestry and trace lineage. It is because of that amazing history that we need technology to help preserve and make it available globally.

After that I went to the service which was very intersting and the cathedral is amazing. I then checked out St.Mungo's museum and returned promptly at 1:00 to get my pass. The attendant then informed me that she would not be open until 2:00 for the pass but I was welcome to check out the cathedral. Having just spent the am there, I said a prayer and made the best of it, I toured the level below which was fascinating. I received my pass at 2:00 and then walked down high street on my way to the train station to visit Stirling Castle.
See the Stirling entry for more about the technolgy that got me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment