Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tuesday Sept. 22nd Edinburgh



Well with the death of my computer I was unable to receive the emails confirming some of my school visits. Thank goodness I was able to check on my ipod late Monday night and discovered that there was a need to reorganize my times. This gives me a chance to go to Edinburgh on Tuesday. I will venture to the trainstation again and be off for a 50 minute ride to see the castle and hopefully walk the Royal Mile while making my way to visit Holyrood Palace.

Ah, all is well. The train was amazing, the tour bus incredible and I was able to walk yet another hill to the fabulous Edinburgh Castle. Amazing is the only word I can us and it doesn't justify it. I felt an incredible urge to get emotional as I walked up to the entrance. I said a prayer and thanked God for getting me there as I went through picked up my audio tour and began my next adventure.

Technology, do we think of audio as technology? We should, these handy devices they give you (for a price) contain bits of information that have been recorded to provide background sounds to make you feel like you are there back in time, in the lulls you have beautiful Scottish music to listen too. Each location has a sign with a number that you enter if you should want more information. With the hundreds of people walking through the gate each hour, or less how could one possibly have tour guides ready to give all that information in all those languages, but alas technology to the rescue again and you smile as you see fellow tourists walking and smiling, looking and thinking and you realize they too are entranced by the voice on the recording and gathering up as much information as they can as they soak in the view and the ambiance of this magnificent place. The tour bus also provides an audio tour, they have taken it one step further, you plug your earphones into the wall of the bus and you have a choice of 8 languages, you hop on and off at your stops and the audio continues from where you left off. Palace of the Holyrood, also provides the audio and it gives you indepth knowledge of the working Palace. I had a fantastic day again and head home on the train, oh, one bit of technology wasn't working today to the dismay of a few individuals, the trainstation toliets have a machine that you need to put in 30 p inorder to proceed and someone's money got stuck making other que up which I don't think they really wanted to do. I found it quite interesting myself.

Off to see schools tomorrow and start the conference, can't wait!
Oh, that silly monkey Marty got into that last shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment